Swiss Life supports projects and institutions in the fields of social affairs, culture, science, education and research, and operates a total of seven of its own foundations in its various core markets.
In line with the purpose and corporate strategy, the social activities of all Swiss Life Group divisions are concentrated on projects promoting self-determination and confidence. In 2022, total contributions amounted to around CHF 3.5 million.
- In 2005, Swiss Life founded the “Perspectives” Foundation, which supports charitable initiatives in the fields of health, science, education, culture and sport and donates CHF 1.3 to 1.5 million every year to social charity projects in Switzerland. In 2022 it supported 114 projects and organisations with donations totalling around CHF 1.4 million. The founding company, Swiss Life, provides all the funds.
- A second foundation operated by Swiss Life in its home market of Switzerland is the “Anniversary Foundation for Public Health and Medical Research”, which was founded in 1957 on the occasion of the company’s centenary. This foundation supports medical research projects and specific charitable organisations for people with physical and mental disabilities. Swiss Life has made annual donations of CHF 400 000 or CHF 500 000 to this foundation in recent years.
- The Swiss Life Select distribution company operates the “Confidence for Children” foundation in Switzerland. This seeks to improve the life and development opportunities of disadvantaged children and thereby give them a better chance of leading a self-determined and independent life. Among its key undertakings are two projects in Kyrgyzstan providing medical care to children with cleft lips/palates. The foundation receives key support from Swiss Life Select’s financial advisors and employees who donated around CHF 402 000 to the foundation in 2022. Swiss Life Select Switzerland pays all the foundation’s administrative costs.
- In addition to these commitments to foundations, Swiss Life promotes Swiss film-making and helps artists go their own creative way. Swiss Life supported the Solothurn Film Festival and the Locarno Film Festival in 2022. Moreover, Swiss Life has supported classical music in Switzerland for years through its financial commitment to Tonhalle-Orchester Zurich, the Zurich Opera House, the Lucerne Festival and the Davos Festival.
- Swiss Life Asset Managers has sponsored the “Swiss Life Thesis Award” for the past nine years. The Award, presented in cooperation with the Institute for Financial Services Zug (IFZ), part of Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and the business journal Finanz und Wirtschaft, provides a platform for innovative and practice-oriented research work at Swiss universities. The best theses in the fields of investment, financial markets, financial services companies, financial instruments and corporate finance are singled out for awards each year. The Swiss Life Thesis Award comes to CHF 20 000 in total.
- Since its inception in 2008, the “Fondation Swiss Life” has been supporting long-term projects with its partners in the fields of health, art and social engagement. The most important projects in the field of health are support for cancer research (“Une Jonquille contre le cancer” with the Curie Institute, Breast Cancer Awareness Month) and support for Alzheimer patients and their carers (adapted visits to museums and cultural institutions, concerts, travel therapies). The Fondation Swiss Life also supports artistic creativity, with the “Prix Swiss Life à 4 Mains” awarded for works in photography and music. In addition, 16 solidarity projects in various areas were supported in 2022 as part of the “Aider à aider” employee volunteer programme. During the year under review, the Fondation Swiss Life donated a total of EUR 301 000 to various initiatives.
- Through the “Swiss Life Stiftung für Chancenreichtum und Zukunft” (“foundation for opportunities and the future”), Swiss Life Germany has been doing its part for educational equity and equal opportunity in Germany since 2016. It works towards having as many people as possible – regardless of their social background – retain their natural sense of curiosity, acquire knowledge and, as a result, lead a self-determined life. The foundation is mainly financed with donations from employees and distribution partners. Swiss Life Germany covers its personnel and administrative costs, thus allowing 100% of donation revenues to go towards project work. This organisation is a pure support foundation: it supported more than 50 initiatives with a total of almost EUR 900 000 in 2022. When the outbreak of war in Ukraine shook the world in spring 2022, the foundation provided EUR 100 000 in emergency aid. EUR 35 000 each went to “Aktion Deutschland hilft” and to “Tafel Deutschland”, which support Ukrainian refugees in Germany, primarily with basic necessities.
- In 2019, the “Swiss Life Stiftung für Chancenreichtum und Zukunft” initiated a multi-year strategic cooperative project with “KinderHelden”, a mentoring initiative that offers improved educational opportunities to primary school children with a difficult background and helps them integrate into society. Employees and distribution partners serve as mentors on a voluntary basis for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Swiss Life Select in Austria supports the “Confidence for Children” foundation. In the year under review, this foundation supported 27 local and international aid projects as well as providing medical aid in specific cases. Donations of about EUR 60 000 were collected, mainly from Swiss Life Select financial advisors. With their help and the support of customers and private individuals, numerous children were given a new perspective in life. In addition, for the past six years Swiss Life Select in Austria has been a sponsor of the “Junge Philharmonie Wien” (Vienna young people’s philharmonic orchestra).